Monday, February 12, 2007

The best laid plans

How does that saying go again?
I am a planner. It’s part of who I am. It’s part of what makes me good at my job and good at maintaining friendships and good at travelling. I can organise things and I can organise myself.
I had a great plan for this year, my year off. I was going to have a rest, a holiday for the first couple of months. I was going to spend some time in Perth, then move in with a friend in her fabulous new apartment for a couple of months. I was going to ease into my study, I was going to create a nice little routine when I took my reading to cafes and lived the inner city life for a few months. I would catch up with friends, I would swim everyday. I would spend time with my nephew and then in march I would go overseas. After my fabulous journeys I would return to Melbourne and spend the final six months working out if this city was somewhere I could live again.
It was a good plan.
The day after I arrived back in Melbourne things went decidedly pear shaped (see post entitled ‘cancer’).
The problem with being a planner is that when the plan hits a wall you still want to make the plan work somehow –because it was a good plan and you had worked hard to organise it. And the more you try to resist the tangent your life has taken the more frustrated and disheartened you become that your plan is gone now. And it’s not that you don’t want to be doing what you are doing now, in fact under the circumstances you are doing exactly what you need to be doing.
I just wish the circumstances were different. I’m sure I’m not the only one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

I've been thinking of you a lot. I'm so sorry about your wonderful plans. And I'm horrified by Pete's illnesses.

I live near Peter Mac if you ever want a coffee (no pram, I promise).

Love to you all, O

Lisa said...

Thanks O, Happy to report Pete is doing well. Still undergoing chemo but we've had some good scan results and are feeling more optimistic.

L x