Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas 2009 (part 1) - House and garden








In january Dad and I drove back to Alice Springs together and spent the final week of my holidays building a deck in the spa area. It turned out really well and has completely transformed that area. The plants have really grown in now and in the middle of the year I emptied and renovated the spa itself. It's such a great space now, especially when the weather is hot. Dad also helped fix the verandah at the front of the house and now that the grape vines are growing big it looks great. The front yard was ablaze with Sturt Desert Pea in the middle of the year. I had always wanted to grow them, but this was beyond my wildest imaginations. They were so prolific that taxi drivers were bringing tourists past the house to see them. I had a few great crops of veggies throughout the year, particularly after I changed that garden into a raised garden in planter boxes. The citrus trees had their first fruit and the olive tree is beginning to look like it should. I also planted a banana palm which has taken off. The garden has been a really life giving and relaxing activity for me this year.My big plan for next year is to build a granny flat in the back yard.

No comments: