Monday, March 05, 2007

Still like the desert

I am missing the desert. I miss the space and the stillness and the quiet. I feel closed in and crowded and deafened by the city. I sat in a park today near the hospital, telling myself I was doing some reading for my course, but in reality most of the time I was just sitting. For the first time in a while I carved out a little patch of grass and enjoyed the grass and the sky and the wind. But unfortunately even in the lovely gardens of East Melbourne, the city eventually reinforces it's presence upon you and the cars and ambulances and helicoptors break your reverie.
I met a man recently and was immediately attracted to him. There's nothing immediately obvious about why I would be attracted to him. I haven't exchanged more than 20 words with him. I think it is his quiet that I find appealing. He seems still and uncluttered. He feels like the desert. The desert that has been my constant companion for so many years.
I wonder if I will ever feel that same sense of longing for the city?

No comments: