Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Toilet Museum


Spent a couple of days in Manchester visiting my friend Cath. Based on her recommendation and that of her brother Cameron, I paid a visit to the Toilet Museum (AKA the Museum of Science and Industry). It is located underneath an old 1830's warehouse and comes complete with a reconstructed 1800's sewer (model rats and fake excrement included!) which pumps out appropriate odours to give you the authentic experience of the day! As if that wasn't enough, there are also working models of toilets through the ages. My personal favoite was the one pictured - the first water flushing toilet, invented in Halifax. There are other good things to see at this museum but this is definitely the best bit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on YOU Lisa. It's good isn't it, and I'm looking forward to taking the girls along when we go to Manchester. Great photo - do they do postcards of that?

Lisa said...

Hi Cam,

No I looked for one and trust me if i had found one I would have been sending it to the City of Opportunity. But alas, the museum in its infinite wisdom has chosen steam trains over toilets for it's post card subjects. What were they thinking?? I hope you guys have fun though!