Sunday, July 08, 2007

Aunties are scared

I spoke to some of my friends from Mulga Bore yesterday. We hadn't spoken recently because I have been overseas for 3 months, so most of the conversation was catching up with any news or gossip they had. About halfway through the conversation Tanya asked me if I had seen the newspapers or on TV? I told her yes and asked her if there was something specific that was worrying her. She said "All that stuff what John Howard is saying". I told her it was big news down here too and I asked her how her family and the Community was feeling about it. She basically told me that there was alot of confusion and misunderstanding about what was happening. She said "i try to read those newspapers and watch the TV and then explain it to people but it's little bit hard". Tanya speaks English VERY well. She has no problems expressing herself and understands everything that takes place in a normal English conversation. If SHE is having trouble understanding what is being reported, I can only imagine the fear and misunderstanding recent event have caused for others.
I tried to explain what was happening as best I could. She understood that it was about sexual abuse, but didn't understand why they were talking about welfare payments and the Army and Police coming out to Communities. I couldn't fin d a good reason either.
A little while later I asked if she and Maggie (her sister) were still planning to visit me down here in Melbourne. For ages they have been talking about coming down for a visit and going to see Collingwood play at the MCG. They have been quite excited about it. When I raised the subject Tanya said "Maggie don't want to go now". When asked why not she replied, "She's scared to leave those kids. They might get taken away when we're gone."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Lisa.

Welcome back! We too have been very disturbed by the recent goings on, and looking forward to your return so we could have a conversation about it with you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the blog - they will be helpful in some letters I'm hoping to write.

Talk to you soon,

Cam

Lisa said...

Hi Cam,

Nice to be back. I look forward to talking to you too. Hope all is well in the City of Opprtunity!

Lisa x