Monday, July 02, 2007

Home


The Age, Saturday 30th June, 2007

Well, I'm back in the country! After 20 fights, 17 cities, 6 countries and countless different beds and showers, I'm back in Melbourne and happy to finally have my own space. Agter what can only be described as a turbulent first six months of the year, i am taking pleasure in the little things - being able to hang my clothes up in a cupboard, being able to leave all of my toiletries out on the bathroom bench, being able to cook for myself, having a place of my own to come and go from. I am looking forward to being able to invite people over, and entertain. I am looking forward to having visitors to stay. In short I am looking forward to the routine and stability of having a home.

But then, I have come back to a political climate that is full of news about the place that is more my home than here. I have come back to Politicians creating 'solutions' for a situation that they cannot possibly understand in the space of their fly by night visits. i have come back to an urban population of friends and aquaintances who expect me to be able to summarise in the time it takes to eat dinner, what it has taken me 5 years to learn.

Yes I am 'home', i am back in the country, but I will not really be home for a few months yet!

No comments: