Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Generational change and chickens


I got some photos back the other day that I took during the few days I spent in Perth (or more specifically Belmont "City of Opportunity"!) My favorite photo is one of a chicken being held by a little girl. My friends the Teros, who live in Belmont (which is really close to the airport!), have chickens and ducks in their backyard, and they LOVE them. Really! Poultry is a big part of their life. In fact at a recent trivia night there was a question about Indian Runner Ducks and I lamented the fact that the Teros weren't on our team that night. I made the comment while I was there that I didn't know anyone else who took their poultry so seriously, I mean they know names and breeds and the differences in temperaments between the different breeds. They KNOW poultry! I made the mistake of making this comment in front of a friend of theirs who also had chooks and he informed me that I needed to get out more because in fact quite a lot of people (him for example) know all about the different breeds of chickens and ducks. This then made me question why i didn't know that stuff. I mean I actually have the pedigree for it, after all my grandfather ran a poultry farm. My Mum grew up surrounded by chickens most of her childhood. We had chooks in the backyeard for all of my childhood too, but I never loved those chooks the way the teros love theirs. Maybe having a poultry farmer in the family was the problem. My enduring memory is of Grandad coming around to chop the heads off the baby chickens who grew up to be roosters. I dont know that I ever associated that with him being a farmer and having the right skills. At that age he just seemed like a rough old man who knew how to wield an axe. He died when I was 19. All of my memories about him revolve around gardening - his retirement profession, or playing 500, or the tall tales he would tell from his childhood. I always knew that his side of the family were farmers and learned somewhere along the way that they didn't care too much for Aboriginal people. It strikes me as somewhat odd that I do what i do now in complete ignorance of the knowledge he had, about poultry and other things, and he lived his life in ignorance of or prejudice towards the people who I spend so much of my time working with.
Sometimes generational change seems to take forever, but in fact alot can change in just two generations.

No comments: