Sunday, September 16, 2007

Giving in

I feel like I have been fighting off a cold for a while and last night a wise woman said to me 'Sometimes it's just better to give in to it'. It made me question why I was fighting it so hard. Why do we fight things? I guess sometimes there are good reasons we fight because we believe we should, we fight because it is important. But what about the times we fight because we're proud, or fight becasue we are scared of what will happen if we dont. Maybe we fight out of habit, or duty, or we fight without realising we are fighting. But when we stop fighting, when we give in and allow things to happen, to roll over us and run their course we discover that the thing we were resisiting isn't so bad afterall. For example giving into my cold today means that I'm sitting on the couch reading the paper and drinking a cup of tea which is actually pretty nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking a fair bit about giving in lately. Giving in on the job I'm currently in. I haven't been prepared to name it as 'giving in'. Not yet. But perhaps that's the liberating thing to do. I wonder why I've resisted giving in. Pride is certainly part of it. A type 3 enneagram (achiever) is another. Disappointment...that's part of it. Dreams not realised. Maybe it's time to read the paper and have a cuppa on the couch, give in, and let it roll over me.

dave

Lisa said...

It couldn't hurt!

L