Friday, May 25, 2007

Le temps passe


I can’t believe it’s been 14 year since I lived in Lyon. I stepped out of the airport shuttle and into Part Dieu station and it felt like yesterday that I was here. The smells of the boulangeries, the taste of the bread, the dog poo on the ground everywhere and the smell of cigarettes all pervading; these are the things that make Lyon feel, taste and smell like home. It’s an ugly city really, full of pollution and urban sprawl. But when I was 18 it felt like the most exotic place on earth. The old cobblestone streets of Vieux Lyon (which are still beautiful), la Place Bellecour, Cathedrale Fouviere, Parc de la Tete d'Or, and the two rivers La Saone and Le Rhone, they all bring back such memories of a magical year which, perhaps more than any other, helped shape the direction of my life. The friendships I made that year are some of the most enduring of my life. I don’t see those friends often as they are spread across the far reaches of the world, but when we do see each other the bonds that began here in Lyon hold strong. As I was taking the metro today I saw a group of 4 or 5 girls, maybe 18 or 19 years old. They were mimicking the metro announcement in French just as my friends and I used to. Then they started chatting and laughing aloud in English, just as we used to. I wonder if they will still be friends in 14 years? How will their lives have changed and what memories will they still hold dear when they return?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brought back memories of my time with you in Lyon, especially the Metro!
Mum

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

Good to see you're in France again. Please have an authentic croissant for me. Have you read Sheryle Bagwell's book "My French Connection"? She's and Australian journalist who lived in Lyon for a while. I am sure you would resonate with some of it. I found it very well written. Bon Vacance!
Libby

Anonymous said...

Back in France I see. Please tell me there was no fountain episode! I'm loving this journey - thanks for bringing us along as passengers. Spence

Lisa said...

No fountains this time Spence but then I'm not 19 anymore!!

Anonymous said...

what's age got to do with it! Travel well my friend.

Anonymous said...

hiya loz, I hope your favourite cafe was still there - the one near Cathedrale St Jean? hmmn, nice hot chocolate if I recall. bise, bez

Lisa said...

Hi Bez,

It's funny, I went back to Cafe de la Cathedrale and it brought back memories for sure but it's not the same when you have no one to meet you there and it was so full of smokers and really wasn't as pleasant as I'd remembered. I guess that is yet more proof of time marching on.
Loz x