Sunday, May 06, 2007

New York





New York is intoxicating. It is so loud and busy and crammed with people and vehicles moving in every possible direction at every possible moment. But here's the unexpected bit. New York is full of beauty and warmth. The architecture has been thoughtfully crafted and built to endure the tests of time. City planners have taken the time to create green leafy spaces in amoungst the skyscrapers so that you can often forget you're in one of the biggest urban centres in the world. It has that 'centre of the universe' feeling to it, the sort of feeling I have only ever experienced in London. But unlike London which leans toward the more serious tones of life, New York has a casualness to it, a sense of welcome and safety that I wasn't expecting. I finished my first day in New York with a visit to the top of the Empire State Building to see new York by night. It was so peaceful up there, so quiet and calm and incredifbly beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your description of the Big Apple. You could be a travel writer.
Belated happy birthday! It's the 'Jesus Age', as Avril would say.
Speaking of Broadway Melodies, I had a quiet night in on my birthday with a DVD of my all-time favourite film: Singin' in the Rain.
Will you take in a show while you're there? Is The History Boys still running? You'd love it.

Lisa said...

Hi olivia. Happy birthday to you too. I actually just saw Chicago last night - there are no words to decribe how fantastic it was. Have been humming the songs to myself ever since! Am thinking about taking in a Broadway play aswell, but can't tonight because I'm going to Yankee Stadium! What fun.

L

Anonymous said...

You lucky thing, you.
Wish I could be in New York as well. You sound like you are having a wonderful time. That was great news about Peter.
Good luck and best wishes to you. Your Dad directed me to here.