Friday, May 04, 2007

Waterfall birthday



I celebrated my 33rd birthday with a visit to one of the wonders of the world - Niagra Falls. The falls themselves were genuinely breathtaking and I can only imagaine what spiritual significance they must have had to the original inhabitants of that land. I also wonder about the experience of the Europeans exploring the area for the first time, perhaps sailing down the Niagra River as the roar of the falls became clearer and louder. I imagaine the phrase 'backpaddle' may have been used! The only disappointing thing about the experience was the township that has grown around the falls. Imagine if you will every possible tacky kind of sideshow experience and you will have the main street of Niagra Falls, ON. It's the complete opposite of the beautiful nature experience the Falls should be. Why is it we humans feel compelled to ruin what is a perfectly beautiful landscape?

No comments: